We know that it can be intimidating to start martial arts classes as an adult. You might be worried about many things. Some of adults wishing to begin karate classes include:
I’m not fit enough
Karate can be practiced irrespective of your level of fitness and is a great opportunity to gradually improve your fitness and athletic capabilities. Many of our students have seen significant improvement in their fitness and overall wellbeing as a result of getting regular exercise.
I’m too old
Karate can be practiced at any age. We accept students from 12 years old but it is possible to train at any age. It simply means that you can tailor your training to your physical capabilities. Our higher stances make it easier to practice during your whole life. Many of our club members are past 40 years old and the head of our school, Sensei Higa is still training daily well into his 80s.
I won’t be able to keep up
Our classes allow you to train at your own pace and we never compare students with each other. The only person you need to try to beat during each training session is the person you were the previous week.
Minoru Higa Kansho of Kyudokan. (Photo by Chris Wilson Photography – https://travel67.com/)
Benefits of Karate
Karate has many benefits and these translate easily to everyday life so what you learn in the dojo has real benefits in your daily life. These are:
- Karate can increase muscle tone and contributes to improved cardiovascular capacity
- Karate training works muscles that promote balance, posture and coordination
- Karate students learn to remain calm under pressure which help in managing difficult situations
- Karate teaches self-defence techniques
- Karate improves self-confidence
- Karate improves the ability to concentrate or focus
- Karate classes are a good way to make new friends or a good social outlet
- Karate teaches complex techniques which increases our ability to problem-solve and strengthen out critical mind
- Karate promotes a healthy lifestyle
- Karate is great for all irrespective of age or gender
When can beginners start
Beginners can start training any time during the year with our regular classes and since we have all been beginners once we understand your concert and will do all our possible to help you fit in and enjoy your training with us.
Our classes take place every Tuesday and Friday evening from 6:00 to 7:30 in Killorglin Sports Complex and on Wednesday evening in Foilmore Community Centre, Cahersiveen. Please remember to contact us in advance if you intend to join us.
From time to time, we organise dedicated training classes for beginners so keep an eye out for them.
Feel free to talk to us about your concerns
If you are interested in starting training with us, please feel free to contact us and talk to us and see how we can ease the start of your karate journey!